Friday, March 19, 2010
The Hamburger Fatty Melt, a Burger with Two Grilled Cheese Sandwiches as Its Bun
Very Thin Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- makes 2 sandwiches or enough for 1 Hamburger Fatty Melt -
4 slices Pepperidge Farm Very Thin white bread
4 slices Kraft Deli Deluxe American cheese (yellow, not white)
2 slices tomato (optional)
1. Heat nonstick pan or griddle to medium. Spread just enough butter to cover both sides of each slice of bread. (Yes, both.)
2. Place 4 bread slices in pan, and cook for about 30 seconds (or work in batches of 2 if your pan isn't big enough). Flip slices and place one slice of cheese on top. (Placing cheese on hot side helps melt it.) If you are adding tomato slices to your grilled cheese sandwiches, this is the time to layer them in.
3. Sandwich the 4 slices together to form 2 sandwiches. Cook about 2 minutes per side, or until sandwiches are golden brown on each side.
1 pound ground beef *
Salt and freshly ground pepper
8 Very Thin Grilled Cheese Sandwiches (recipe here)
4 medium-thick or 8 thin tomato slices (optional but recommended)
1. Divide beef into 4 equal parts. Shape into square patties slightly larger than the grilled cheese sandwiches that will serve as buns. (Use a slice of the Pepperidge Farm Very Thin bread as a template if you're uncomfortable eyeballing this.) Create an indentation in the centers of the patties—this will help maintain even thickness, as the center typically swells up when cooking.
2. Preheat a cast-iron skillet or heavy-bottom pan to medium-high. Meanwhile, in a nonstick skillet, prepare the Very Thin Grilled Cheese Sandwiches.
3. Salt and pepper both sides of burger patties liberally. Throw those suckers in the cast-iron pan, cooking them in batches of two if your pan isn't big enough to hold them all at once. Cook about 3 minutes per side for medium. Remove patties from pan and let rest a couple minutes.
4. Sandwich patties between two grilled cheese sandwiches and top each with 1 medium-thick slice of ripe tomato. (Variation: Slice tomatoes thinly and 1 slice directly into each Very Thin Grilled Cheese Sandwich.)